5/19/12

SpaceX Test Launch, Abort


This morning at 4:55 am EDT, SpaceX attempted to launch its Dragon capsule aboard a Falcon 9 rocket on a mission to dock with the International Space Station. There was only a one second window so there wasn't any margin for error. Unfortunately, upon ignition one of the engines failed to perform up to specifications and the ignition sequence was shut down. In their Twitter feed it was reported, "Launch aborted: slightly high combustion chamber pressure on engine 5. Will adjust limits for countdown in a few days." The next available optimal launch window will be on May 22nd at 3:44 am EDT.

SpaceX is the coolest thing in the world. Check out this video of Elon Musk giving a tour of the California facility:




I'm going to go ahead and try for an internship at SpaceX. There is obviously a lot of competition, but I think I have a fair chance. They recommend you upload a video of yourself and send it to them with your application and resume. I haven't sent it to them yet, but I've uploaded it here for all of you to see first:




Hope I make it!

No comments:

ShareThis