One of my goals this summer is to break Mach 2. When I got back from school earlier this May, I started work on a new rocket that should be up to the job.
It's a 38mm minimum diameter rocket made of hand-laid fiberglass in my very own composites lab. Rocksim predicts a top speed of Mach 2.3 on a 6G Cesaroni J360.
It is an exercise in space/weight efficiency, construction techniques, and strength of materials.
|I used the motor casing as a form and wrapped wax paper around it to protect it.|
|Then I went around with liberal doses of epoxy resin. I used about 2 feet of cloth.|
|This was the result after the wrapping. To prevent it from hardening into this bumpy matrix pattern, I wrapped a layer of wax paper around the entire thing.|
|For the fins I made a little fiberglass sheet with about 8 layers of cloth.|
|I then covered it in wax paper and pressed it with some heavy books.|
|(Such as an astrophysics text).|
|Very happy with the result. Taped on RockSim templates.|
|Cut them out with a jigsaw.|
|Sanded them even, gave them double-wedge airfoils.|
|Not much room for TTW fin attachment, but I did cut slots and but the fins up against the motor casing.|
|Used lats of epoxy.|
|A good view of the fillets. Used 60 minute epoxy mixed in fiberglass dust that I collected from sanding the fins. The fiberglass dust gives the epoxy more of a matrix, which increases the strength.|
|Recovery is going to be a little tricky, but I've got an idea that uses Kevlar shock cord. I'm planning to use a blaze-orange nylon streamer and, of course, a rocket tracker.|
I'm tentatively planning on launching this June at Tripoli MN.
I am also determined to make it to either LDRS or BALLS this year, but I have to earn some money first. It'll be an interesting summer anyway.