5/9/08

How the Story Ends

So... I last left my rocket 50 feet high in a tree in a tangled mess. How on earth was I ever going to get it down? My Dad and I went out there to look at it, my Grandpa and I went out to look at it, scratching our heads in bewilderment, until my Grandpa got the idea to use the forklift. While we were waiting for a day when we could try it, it rained. Ugh. Things were looking bleak.

Well, it was certainly worth a try. On Thursday we started up the forklift and spent some time building a platform on the forks (to stand on) out of a sod pallet. The hope was that with the 21 feet the forks could be raised to plus the eight feet or so one of us could reach to, plus another 15 feet from the pruning pole we brought along, that we would be able to reach the rocket.

So we spend all that time and energy planning a way to get the rocket back, and when we get out there where the rocket is supposed to be hanging in a tree...

No rocket.

The rocket was not in the tree, but laying on the ground beneath the tree. As it turns out, the rain had loosened the shock cord mount so that it came out all together, and the lower part of the rocket fell to the ground. The nose cone and the parachute are still out there, but they are inexpensive and easy to build.

It turns out that our elaborate plan was not necessary after all!

2 comments:

cj said...

Cool! I'm so glad you got it back!

-cj

p.s. I watched your rocket video, the one where it got stuck in the tree. It was pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

That's great that you got it back! =)

ShareThis